Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Live from New York! It’s … LIST-MAKING!

 I love lists. A lot. In fact, I could probably make a list of the reasons I love lists. List-making entertains me when I’m training for the 3-Day Walks and there’s no one to talk to. I create weird lists or top 10s in my head, adding, subtracting, rearranging, justifying their position over the miles and various walks.

For reasons known only to maybe one other person, Stefon, the Club Kid from Saturday Night Live, has been on my mind a lot. I was one of SNL’s early adopters. Back in SNL’s infancy, my high-school boyfriend and I made a point to be back at my house by 10:30 on Saturday nights so we could sit on my parent’s couch and watch it. Without such fancy technology as a Betamax to record it for later, it was the original “must-see” TV.

Lately, I’ve been creating my Top 10 SNL Recurring Characters List. It’s tough to limit it to 10 without cheating by creating ties just to get extra people on there. I had to be ruthless when I didn’t want to. I felt like I was betraying a friend when someone had to be sacrificed. I decided to eliminate “real people” because otherwise, there wouldn’t be room for anyone else. There will never be a Bill Clinton like Phil Hartman’s or a Sarah Palin as good as Tina Fey’s.

 Here’s the top 10 as it stands today, but I warn you, it’s subject to change.

10. Wayne Campbell
I’m leaving Garth off the list for now (no way!), but I reserve the right to add him back in with Wayne at a later date. Mike Meyers just nailed that character, creating a bucketload of catchphrases along the way. If you can’t sing the Wayne’s World theme song, then you should check your pulse. Party on, Wayne.

9. Fr. Guido Sarducci
Come on, who doesn’t love a chain-smoking priest reporting on gossip for the Vatican Enquirer? Don Novello created a whole career for himself with one thrift-store outfit. He even went on talk shows in character; I remember thinking he was really a priest.

(SNL trivia: Fr. Guido Sarducci holds the record for most recurrences on SNL—31 times)

8. Rich, the Copy Guy
So annoying. So funny. Sting! Stingatola! Stingalingadingdong! Makin’ copies. Was there anyone in any office anywhere who wasn’t quoting Rob Schneider’s Richmeister every time they went to the copy machine? The catchphrase-meister.

7. The Spartan Cheerleaders
U-G-L-Y! You ain’t got no alibi! You ugly! Maybe because I never saw the inner workings of cheerleading, I loved Arianna and Craig and their quest for the “perfect cheer.” I read somewhere that Cheri Oteri and Will Ferrell actually went to cheerleading camp to learn how to be cheerleaders. Talk about suffering for your art.

6. Debbie Downer
I love this Rachel Dratch character so much I adopted her name to describe my incessant risk-management techniques at work. In my defense, I’ve never brought up the topic of feline AIDS. Plus, if you’ve ever seen the Disney World episode with Debbie Downer, you’ll know why this is on my top 10.

5. Chris Farley Show
Okay, I’ll admit, I wasn’t a big Chris Farley fan, but his goofily nervous talk show host remains in my stable of quotable quotes. (“Remember….?” “That was awesome.”) I was nervous watching Chris Farley be nervous. There were only three episodes of the Chris Farley show -- with Jeff Daniels, Martin Scorsese and Paul McCartney. The McCartney one is my favorite.

Chris Farley: You remember when everyone said you were dead?
Paul McCartney: Yes.
Chris Farley: That was a hoax, right?

Chris Farley: You remember when you sang, the love you take is equal to the love you make?
Paul McCartney: Yes.
Chris Farley: Ummm, is that true?

4. Lisa Loopner
Gilda Radner could make any character loveable, and she really perfected it with nerdy Lisa Loopner. Bill Murray was her equally nerdy boyfriend, Todd, but it was Lisa and her comebacks to Todd (“The last time I heard that I fell off my dinosaur.”) who stole the show. Who remembers Todd’s BFF, Chaz the Spaz? That was Steve Martin.

3. Brian Fellow
Lord, have mercy, Tracy Morgan as “not an accredited zoologist” cracked me up. Heck, half the time, he didn’t even get his character’s name right.  I would honestly watch Brian Fellow’s Safari Planet on cable if it were possible. “If goats could talk, I’ll bet they would swear!” “Where is that snake’s arms? I’ll bet he’s hiding them behind his back.”

2. Stefon
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. It takes a lot to make me laugh out loud when I watch TV, and Bill Hader’s character cracked my snooty exterior. I have a Stefon mashup bookmarked on YouTube, and when I need a laugh, I queue it up. Plus, he gets Anderson Cooper at the end, so what’s not to love? As a bonus, some spontaneous back-and-forth Stefon-worthy repartee at the 2013 3-Day Walk was just the thing after a long day of crewing in the rain, when I really needed something to laugh about. Stefon has “everything.”

1.  The Festrunk Brothers
I was also an early adopter of Steve Martin. I’m pretty sure there’s a photo of me in my high-school yearbook wearing an arrow through my head. I still have my ticket stub from 1977 when I saw Steve Martin in concert at Jones Hall in Houston. $6.75.

For my money, there’s nothing funnier than the “two wild and crazy guys” from Czechoslovakia, played by Steve Martin and Dan Ackroyd. I’ll give a shout-out to Garrett Morris for playing straight-man Cliff (“Slap my hand, black soul man.”), but it was the brothers in those perfect 1970s outfits that makes this my hands-down #1 pick.


I feel like I should apologize to all the great characters I left off: Roseanne Roseannadanna,  The Anal-Retentive Chef, Mary Katherine Gallagher, the Sweeney Sisters, the NPR girls, Kaitlin, The Ladies Man, the Killer Bees, Theodoric of York, David Spade’s receptionist at the Dick Clark office, the list goes on….

1 comment: