It’s
no secret I make a lot of lists. Having watched season 1 of Last Man on Earth*
and gotten way too involved in life in the cul-de-sac where they live (and
gather around the campfire each night) has prompted me to come up with my own
neighbor list. It’s sort of like KakWorld, but in a handy neighborhood version.
It’s
not that I want to live near a celebrity. I actually don’t. I’m so pop-culturally
clueless, I might actually live near one and not even know it. I chose these
people not because I want to live in their orbit of fame, but because they seem
like they would bring things I want to the neighbor table. I capped it at 10
houses in my cul-de-sac, because otherwise, it defeats the purpose of my list
work if I let everyone on it.
You
may be surprised that Bruce Springsteen isn’t on it. I don’t want to live near
him. I think he’s probably not super-social and what if he kept horses out
back. Pee-yoo. I’ll just love him from a distance. Our relationship is
complicated like that.
Jon Bon Jovi. I’m not a rabid JBJ fan. I can name
maybe three songs. That’s probably an exaggeration. Okay, one. (Short interlude while I Google….) Yes,
definitely one.
I
like Jon because he seems like a decent guy. Married to his high-school
sweetheart and a decent sense of humor about his celebrity. (Remember when he
was the subject of an internet death rumor?)
Kathy Bates. I’m not a rabid Kathy Bates fan, either.
I liked her in Fried Green Tomatoes and Primary Colors, which might be the only
two movies I’ve seen her in. I liked her character in The Office. She just
strikes me as the type of gal who probably swears at backyard BBQs and serves
booze at her Tupperware parties.
Jacques Torres. He’s the cute French chef who
specializes in chocolate desserts. I think that says it all. I’ll bet he keeps
his lawn neat, too.
Tom and Lorenzo. I’m gonna need some snarky gay guys in
my cul-de-sac. While Tom and Lorenzo are celebrity fashion bloggers and I’m not
interested in that, I do love their snarky attitudes. Can you imagine how much
fun Oscar night would be with those guys? I would also be willing to swap these
guys out with Anderson Cooper and Andy
Cohen.
Kelly Willis and Bruce
Robison. Okay, this is a
bit of a celebrity crush. They seem like an ordinary couple, running kids to
soccer practice and clipping Sunday coupons. Pretty sure I could talk them into
singing at parties. I’ll bet they tell really good stories and have interesting
people over to the house.
A Mac Genius Bar Worker. I don’t really care who this person is
as long as it’s not Nick the Computer Guy from SNL. Having a neighbor who would
come over and fix all your computer woes (and think it’s fun) is a big big
plus. I would make this person cookies.
Neil Patrick Harris and
David Burtka. I just
think these guys look fun to hang out with. They’re normal dads with adorable
kids. Plus, David’s a chef. And have you seen their Halloween costumes? Legit.
Mike Rowe. Come on, here’s the guy you want to sit
around the yard and have a beer with. He’s going to tell great stories and
probably bring beer. Also, he looks like he’d be handy with heavy lifting if
you needed it, and he probably has a decent plumber and electrician on speed
dial. I feel like he probably knows all the words to Harper Valley PTA, so
that’ll come in handy when Kelly and Bruce burst into song. I hope he’ll be
chivalrous enough to kill lizards.
Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson. I once saw Tom Hanks on some talk show
where he said he didn’t really like big celebrity red-carpet events, so that
leads me to believe he’s probably an okay neighbor. I like that whole
self-deprecating thing he’s got going on, and I’ll bet he’s got a
movie-screening room with comfy chairs in it, so I could actually see a movie
every now and again. I just don’t want the in-laws roasting a lamb on the front
lawn. (If the roast-lamb thing becomes an issue, I would substitute Roger Federer. I figure he’ll give free
tennis tips in exchange for babysitting those cute twins. And also because it’s
Roger Federer.)
Sandra Boynton. You just know she has a really cool studio where she draws fun stuff and
it’s probably stocked with good chocolate. She seems like the type who would
always help clean up after a party. Maybe she would give out free books. I’ll
bet she would come over and doodle on your notepads and then you’d have a bunch
of cool one-of-a-kind keepsakes. I feel like she would be willing to be try
some goofy Pinterest craft idea with me. (If she actually has 15 animals, this
is a deal-breaker.)
*Footnote: Since I started
this, the Last Man group has moved into a house in Malibu in season 2. Just to
be clear: I don’t want these people living with me. I just want them close
enough to borrow a cup of sugar from if I need it.
No comments:
Post a Comment